Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Gemina by @Amie_Kaufman & Jay_Kristoff


Image result for 4 stars

I had to battle between 4 and 5 stars. 4 stars just had to win out because I had some issues with the plot and the aliens. 

I’m really surprised that I like this series so much. I had so many people recommend Illuminae and loved it after I dove in. I will say, I was skeptical that I would enjoy the format. It’s very different than anything I have ever read. These books are told through emails, video logs, chat rooms and letters to give you the plot. 

This book has all new characters. I didn’t realize this until I started getting into it. I was confused at first :-P. I loved Hannah! She was so awesome and didn’t take crap from anyone. I really liked all the characters though. The plot felt a bit slow at times but I think that was because it’s a lot of video logs and we don’t really get as much from the personal side. In Illuminae there were a lot more chat room convos and emails sent back and forth. 

One of my issues was the alien monsters. It just felt so forced and really kind of odd. It didn’t fit into the book as easily as the first book. I was more annoyed than scared by them, if that makes any sense. It just didn't flow with the plot. 

I will say that Aiden might be one of my favorites. His dialogue is really witty but at the same time makes you think. 

There are a lot of plot twists in this book but the romance was so predictable. It’s okay, it’s a YA book. 
This was a great book! I really enjoyed it and I cannot wait to see what she comes up with next. The book itself is just gorgeous, I’m really loving this style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment