Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Red Queen by @Victoria_Aveyard



Red Queen
by Victoria Aveyard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have seen this book everywhere. It’s been on my list for a while and the hold list at the library was so long. I finally got it in and started reading it on my lunch break. After the second day, I took it home and finished it that night. I just got so caught up with the story, I couldn’t just read it at lunch time anymore. I really liked this book but there are some reasons that I gave it only 4 stars.
First, I would like to say that this is such a unique take on a dystopian world. I was really intrigued with the different classes being the blood type, Reds vs. Silvers.

Mare is a red and she is from the other end of the class spectrum. She is supposed to work hard or enlist in the army. If you are not blessed with any special skill, the army is your future. This is what Mare is looking at when we first meet her. She’s trying to find a way to save herself and a friend from the war front. I liked her character enough; I want to see her evolve a little more. Her love quadrangle is just annoying. Ugh. I hate love triangles and this is just the worst! I also find it hard to believe that she had NO signs of her GREAT power for 17 years. It just doesn’t seem that there would be no little signs or anything.

I really liked Cal too. I think that we will see some great things from him. We don’t get a lot of him in this book, just touches here and there. You can see him fighting a battle with himself. He’s torn between a better world and following his father’s footsteps. I can’t wait to see how he develops as a character.

There are some things in this book that are very predictable. I actually, saw everything happening, way before Mare. It was quite obvious but that’s okay. I am very surprised when a YA book is able to shock and awe me. Aveyard, did a good job keeping this book flowing and interesting. I just couldn’t put it down. I’m really excited to see what happens in the future. I have heard horrible things about book 2. I think I’m going to take a break and wait until closer to the release of book 3. If book 2 is horrible, I may never pick up book 3 later on.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment