Sunday, February 8, 2015

Review: The Retribution of Mara Dyer by @Michelle Hodkin

 
 
 
Okay, I will admit that I felt lost throughout a lot of this series. There was so much potential and this book just fell flat for me. It didn't even get interesting until 3/4 of the way. Most of this book is the three of them going from location to location and Mara trying not to kill people.. but she does.  I feel like there is so much that is left unfinished at the end of this. The back and forth between past and present helped me figure out some of what was going on. It took me three books.
 
Mara is not a "super heroine" AT all. She's pretty much the opposite. She is really reckless and a straight up killer. I was so confused on what was going on with her through the first two books. Was it some kind of psychosis? Did she have someone else inside her head? Where there two of them? Was it her twin and at birth she got sucked into her brain? I mean the possibilities were endless. I was not expecting where this book went. It left me so ... unimpressed. I really took a week to try and think about how to write this review.
 
I did not like the characters and the plot is horribly slow and lacking. There is so much unimportant fluff throughout this book. It's over 400 pages and it was about 200+ pages too much. Don't get me wrong, it's a decently quick read but it's boring. Actually, now that I have had time to process and think about this book. I'm dropping down to 2 stars.
 
Not something I would recommend. Just wasn't for me. Sorry, I just didn't care for Mara.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment