Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Raven Boys- Maggie Stiefvater

 
 
This has been on my TBR list for a long time. I decided to take the plunge and read this in one sitting. Now that sounds misleading. I read this in one sitting, not because I couldn't stop, but because I have limited reading time at the moment. The synopsis sounded so interesting to me. Although, I was surprised to find that the synopsis didn't really match the actual book. I think the synopsis takes the wrong thing to describe the plot. I thought this was going to be about Blue's struggle to not kill her one true love. Turns out, this book is about a bunch of different people, trying to find a dead king that will grant one wish.
 
"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve, Blue. Either you're his true love...or you killed him."
 
How intriguing is that?!?! I was so excited to see how this would play out and how Blue would save him. You know, that has to happen! Well... after we meet the Raven Boys, things don't really go how I thought they would. Blue ends up with Adam. Then they all decide to look for this king together. That about sums up the book. The plot did not really develop much and it was slow at times. The author actually did the POV of several of the characters. While, it was good to see, it was a little much. There was too much back story that I would have a hard time getting back into the current story. I was getting a little overwhelmed and it took away from the story itself.
 
Stiefvater did a great job with the actual characters. They were all very interesting and had a lot of character growth by the end of this book. I loved how they all were so different but so close. Blue actually fit right into the group. Although, she is with the wrong guy, I could feel it. I'm pretty sure that Adam did too. I didn't think that much really happened with that relationship. They didn't move forward too much, so I'm a bit confused on where they ended up.
 
Actually, there's so many things that were not explained at the end of this book. I think there was more unanswered questions at the end of this book than answers. I'm hoping that the next book will clear a lot of that up. I also hope that we get what we wanted with this first book with Blue.
 
Overall, this was an interesting story and I will be reading the next book to find out what happens. I hope that it's not as slow paced and that we get more of Blue in this book. I really enjoyed her character and it was a shame to not see her more. I also hope that there is no weird love triangle with this. Although, with Adam in the mix, it seems to be heading that way.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment