Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Rosie Effect- Graeme Simsion

21844019


I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book. I was so excited to receive this book to review! I loved the first one and couldn't believe there was already a second! 

That being said....  Sigh. I really wanted to like this one! I really loved, The Rosie Project. Maybe it was because I had too high of hopes. I know that it was going to be a hit or miss because it just came out so soon. I think he kind of just wanted to ride off of his first success. Either way, it was a bad idea. 

I've had this book on my kindle for a little while. I had a hard time getting into this book. It was really quite boring. From the beginning we just get too much of Don's science and facts. It just overwhelmed me at times that I had to skip a couple paragraphs. I didn't really get interested in this book until the last 30%. That's right folks, I had to get 70% of the way through this book for it to grab me! I couldn't believe it. 

I was unbelievably, disappointed in Rosie. COME ON!! She knew EXACTLY how Don's personality was and she was acting so childish. I understand, she was pregnant and hormones can mess with you. I just didn't understand why she all the sudden expected him to be a nurturing, happy-go-lucky, father to be. She gave him NO time to digest this information and expected him to be on board, right away. The whole first book was her trying to get through to him about being involved with another person. Now, she's changing the game and adding another life, that he has to be responsible for. 

Honestly, I think that Don did an outstanding job. All he wanted to do this whole book was keep her happy and stress free. When he tried to help with her dietary needs, she freaked out on him. I'm sorry, but there are just some things you have to give up, when you become pregnant. Especially, in the early stages. How Don could realize that but she couldn't, I'll never understand. She was in a medical school. I found the idea of him keeping track of the babies size on the tiles, week to week, absolutely touching. I know it was scientific, but Rosie should have realized, how great that was for him. All he wanted to do was help her and he tried so hard. She was so mean to him. She was beyond mean, and he didn't deserve it. She knew who he was but completely disregarded that. This is my biggest issue with this book! There was no compromise and it was so unrealistic. Just to all the sudden give up at the end without fighting. There's a child involved! It's not so easy to just throw in the towel. She acted like he was a child and didn't give him a choice in anything. 

Also, Don's personality and "quirkiness" was rather annoying. It was over the top and just not charming, like the first book. I felt like the author just went too far with it. I think that he would really have a much harder time in real life. 

I felt that all the supporting characters really didn't have any growth. They didn't really add much to the plot, until the end. They force him to realize the mistake. I just felt like this book didn't have much of a plot and I couldn't get through it fast enough. 

I had a hard time trying to decide between two and three stars. I went with three because I did have a touching moment in the end. Also, because I just loved the first book so much. I didn't hate this book and there were moments, I enjoyed. 
I really wanted to love this. I hate that I'm disappointed. I really hope he's done with this because he had a great thing.. until this book. 




No comments:

Post a Comment