Saturday, June 18, 2016

Britt-Marie Was Here by @Fredrik_Backman

Britt-Marie Was HereBritt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I want to thank Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC copy of this book. This review/opinions are my own.

This really does break my heart. I loved both of his previous books: A Man Called Ove & My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry. I loved them both! I know that his books can start off slow and then it’s just amazing after about 1/3 of the book. I really tried. I am about 55% of the way and I just can’t get into this book. It’s definitely going to be one of the rare DNF-Did not finish- books. I am so sad about it. I know that I’ll be in the minority here. If someone can tell me that it gets so much better, please do so. I just can’t get attached to any of the characters or the plot.

Let me explain myself, the characters. Ugh, I cannot stand the way he’s chosen to describe these characters. Actually, most of them don’t even have real names. How is “Somebody” a name?! I get that’s what she makes up. It still just makes everything confusing. There’s so much strange dialogue between the characters that it makes it awkward. I know it’s totally the point. Britt-Marie is an awkward OCD soul. I get it but you have to engage me into these conversations. Most of this book is just boring and it goes nowhere. I’m 55% of the way through and NOTHING has really happened. I also did not laugh at all. I didn’t think it was funny and she kept saying “ha ha” and I was getting really annoyed with it.

This book had so much potential but it just completely fell flat for me. I couldn’t get pulled in by any character. I did try though. I picked this up and read a few chapters over the course of a month! I just had to stop every time. I told myself that this would be the time I got sucked in and it never happened. There’s so much I want to read and I just can’t keep trying to get this one finished. I gave it a valiant effort, I swear.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment