Saturday, June 18, 2016

The Heart of Betrayal by @Mary_E_Pearson

The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I want to thank Goodreads First Reads and the publisher, for providing me with a copy of this book. This review/thoughts/opinions are my own.

Blurb from goodreads:
“Held captive in the barbarian kingdom of Venda, Lia and Rafe have little chance of escape. Desperate to save Lia's life, her erstwhile assassin, Kaden, has told the Vendan Komizar that she has the gift, and the Komizar's interest in Lia is greater than anyone could have foreseen.

Meanwhile, nothing is straightforward: There's Rafe, who lied to Lia but has sacrificed his freedom to protect her; Kaden, who meant to assassinate her but has now saved her life; and the Vendans, whom Lia always believed to be savages. Now that she lives among them, however, she realizes that may be far from the truth. Wrestling with her upbringing, her gift, and her sense of self, Lia must make powerful choices that will affect her country... and her own destiny.”

Okay, I will admit that I did not read the 1st book. Honestly, I did not know this was part of a trilogy, when I requested it on goodreads. I started reading this book and kept thinking that I was missing something. Sure enough, it is a sequel. I went ahead and continued reading it because I could not get my hands on the first book. I figured that I would be okay because they usually will summarize big moments in a previous book. I was not wrong.

Anyways, I really liked this book. It was fast paced and I was just sucked into this book. I spent the rest of the day reading because I just had to know what was happening.

I loved all these characters. Wow, the scheming and plot twists were pretty great. I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. Towards the end of the book, I was starting to get really nervous! I really liked Lia. I really liked how independent and brash she could be. She wouldn’t take anything from anyone. She always knew how to push just far enough, without actually crossing the line. I enjoyed that and I will admit, sometimes it made me nervous.

I definitely was torn between the boys. There is clearly no love triangle here but I really like Kaden. I actually like him more than the Prince. He’s (Prince) a bit arrogant and all about being a hero. He didn’t really end up being the Hero to me. Lia doesn’t need a hero at all. I just really liked Kaden and we learn so much about him in this book. I will definitely go back and read the first book though.

The ending is definitely a surprise. It does take us some time to get there but it’s not boring. You fly through this book but we do get a lot of background and history of Venda.

I will definitely be on the lookout for the next book to see how this ends!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment