Thursday, September 5, 2013

Night Film- Marisha Pessl

What is it lately with these horrible endings! This book had so much potential! I can't believe I picked this up, I hate horror. This book is a bit scary because there's a lot of witch craft and dark magic talk. Here's the summary from Goodreads:
         On a damp October night, beautiful young Ashley Cordova is found dead in an abandoned warehouse in lower Manhattan. Though her death is ruled a suicide, veteran investigative journalist Scott McGrath suspects otherwise. As he probes the strange circumstances surrounding Ashley’s life and death, McGrath comes face-to-face with the legacy of her father: the legendary, reclusive cult-horror-film director Stanislas Cordova—a man who hasn’t been seen in public for more than thirty years.
For McGrath, another death connected to this seemingly cursed family dynasty seems more than just a coincidence. Though much has been written about Cordova’s dark and unsettling films, very little is known about the man himself.
Driven by revenge, curiosity, and a need for the truth, McGrath, with the aid of two strangers, is drawn deeper and deeper into Cordova’s eerie, hypnotic world.
The last time he got close to exposing the director, McGrath lost his marriage and his career. This time he might lose even more.


Doesn't that sound so interesting?! It was.. until the end! I was really caught up in this book and it was kind of freaking me out at the same time. I have to say, I had to wait until my husband was home to read it. It was just so gripping and I couldn't wait to figure out what they were going to uncover next. I had to know what was happening with Ashley and her crazy father. Turns out the reality of what's happened is something I didn't see coming. Actually, it was kind of a bit boring. Then the last like 100 pages, I was completely bored. I kind of felt like I was being thrown all over the place. It felt like the author didn't quite know where she wanted the story to go or how to end it. I was left really unsatisfied for sure. I couldn't believe how well the whole book was until the last 100 pages or so for the ending. Was totally thinking a 5 star book but fell short with only 3 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment