Thursday, July 25, 2013

Cinder & Scarlet - Marissa Meyer

Cinder

I've been wanting to read this book for a long time now. I just didn't get around to it and then someone returned it at work (the library) and I was like okay, it's time. I brought it home and decided to put everything else on hold and read it. I read through this pretty fast and I loved it.
    It's kind of a twist on the Cinderella story. It's set in New Beijing and it's a mix of humans and androids. From space, another type of people called lunar. There's also a deadly plague that is killing off the population. Cinder is a well known mechanic and a cyborg. She doesn't really know much about her past since she can't remember anything before the age of 11. She lives with her stepmother (who hates her) and two stepsisters. Unlike the Cinderella story, one of the stepsisters is sweet and her and Cinder love each other. Cinder is living a normal-ish life until the Prince stops at her table at the market to ask for her assistance. She falls for him and then things start to unwind for her as she's finding out more about herself than she ever knew.
    That's all I'm going to say. I know some of it sounds weird but it's really good. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book, Scarlet. Although, there is a wait at the library. I know there will be two more books in the next year and a half so that's exciting. I just hope she can stick to her writing and deliver on the next 3 books!

Scarlet
   This is the second book in this series. I plowed right through it. I just loved it. I just love the way different people spin fairy tales and this series is probably going to be one of my favorites. Scarlet is about "little red riding hood" in a way. It's not exactly the story itself but it's pieces of the fairy tale that have been imbedded in this story. It also ties in with the first book as a continuation but mostly about Scarlet. There's definitely a lot more characters now and I love them all. It's such a strange concept with the cyborgs and all that but it's definitely interesting. It's like a futuristic fairy tale. I'm interested to see where she goes with the next book, which I believe is Rapunzel.














No comments:

Post a Comment