Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Man Called Ove- Fredrik Backman

 
 


I want to thank the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book.

This was an amazing book! I got started it this morning and I just couldn't put it down. It was recommended at work last night (library) and I was so excited to see that Netgalley offered this book. You will seriously go through so many emotions. I laughed out loud several times and cried as well. It was just so moving and a wonderful story. The writing was just so great and the story flowed so well. I devoured this book and I never thought twice about spending my whole day reading this book!

This book is about Ove. He is struggling with the fact that he lost his wife and no longer wants to live without her. He has a very strange personality. He kind of reminds me of a not-as-crazy, Sheldon from Big Bang. He is very particular about things and his wife called him, "the most in inflexible man in the world." He has specific rules and schedules for everything. He doesn't really care to be involved in his neighbors lives, and ignores them. He keeps to himself because he thinks everyone is just idiotic and doesn't want to put up with them. He is seen as a grumpy old man but it's really not true. I think more than anything, he is just misunderstood by many. He may have a certain personality that comes off that way, but he seriously has the biggest heart. He will help people and call them an idiot while doing so but secretly enjoy helping. He will help out anyone who needs it, even if it's taking something from him.

Everyday, he is convinced he is going to kill himself to be with his wife. Until the neighbors move in and start to ruin his days by barging into his life. I think that all along Parvenah knows his struggle. Without knowing it, this family saves him.

The story is just so full of love and hope. I love how we get his background as well. The author will take you back into the beginning of Ove's life and continue his story throughout the book. You understand him and why he is the way he is. You learn about his life with Sonja and the love and hard times they shared. Even though, he had a rough exterior, his inside is like a teddy bear! I just fell in love with his character and all the amazing characters surrounding him.

Such a great story! I HIGHLY recommend this book!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment