Friday, August 1, 2014

Panic- Lauren Oliver

 
 
 
This is my first book by Lauren Oliver. I have heard a lot of conflicting reviews of her other series. I haven't read it but it is on my TBR list. I was just enticed by a stand alone book. It's so rare these days to get a stand alone teen book. I thought this book was just okay and on the fence of dislike.
 
I feel like the moral of this story is, do what you want, and you get everything you want. There were really no consequences for these characters after putting their lives on the line several times. I don't know about you but I would not want my kid reading this. I was left with a bad taste after reading this. There were so many ways she could have taken this story and she didn't do it right. I really thought she was going to redeem herself at the end. I really thought she was going to go ...there. She didn't though. There was absolutely no negatives to almost killing yourself for a game. All for money. I feel like the author just really liked that show, Fear Factor. It's an interesting concept but this book was too heavy for teens.
 
I never connected with the characters and I really disliked Natalie. She was so shallow and she was a horrible friend. I didn't like that Heather put up with it and that Dodge was so in love with her. He didn't even know her! I think I liked Bishop the most but he was just a small character. I loved the way that Heather took charge and put her sister first. She didn't take crap from her mom anymore and took her sister out of there. It was hard and took a lot of courage.
 
In the end, everything works out just peachy. I think that's what annoys me the most about this. It makes me all the more hesitant to read her other books.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment