Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Big Little Lies- Liane Moriarty

 

 I saw this book was coming out and had to read it. I had no idea what it was about but I really enjoyed, The Husband's Secret. I got this from the library and started it that night. I got through this book so fast because I became immersed into this story.

It alternates chapters between three different stories, Madeline, Jane and Celeste. It starts with a detective asking questions about a murder that took place at a school event. It then jumps back to months before the event and introduces us to the main characters and their stories leading up to the night. Jane and her son Ziggy are the new ones in town. Madeline instantly takes her under her wing. Celeste and Madeline have known each other for a while, so the three of them become fast friends. 

This is basically all about drama, drama, drama. You know when you are in high school and there are tons of "cliques" and you think when you get out, it will be over. This books shines the light on the truth! It never goes away! There are still cliques when your children are in school.. with the other parents. One of the things I loved about this book was that at each chapter there were some of the other parents giving their insight to what happened throughout the year. Things that happened were completely blown out of proportion. You can see how people see things how they want to, not as they are.

There is a dark tone to this book because there is the subject of domestic violence. I really liked how the author handled this situation. There were some grey lines and caused a lot of hesitation and doubt. I think there are  a lot of people who may deal with that and it's good to see her shine a light one it.

There were a lot of twists and turns and a murder mystery! There a was a lot going on in this book and it really keeps you hooked. I caught myself only wanting to read 50 pages before bed and before I knew it, I was over 100 pages in! One of the things I really enjoy about this author, are the grey lines and boundaries she crosses. They always make you think about what you would do in the situation. Is it right to be wrong? I highly recommend this book!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment