Monday, September 15, 2014

The Iron Trial - Holly Black & Cassandra Clare

 
 

I want to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book.There's a lot of middle-grade books by authors I like, lately. Honestly, I didn't even care what this was about. I saw that it was Cassandra Clare and Holly Black and immediately requested it on Netgalley.

The premise is definitely interesting and the story has a lot of potential. Honestly, I kept thinking of Harry Potter during this book. There are a lot of places that the story is kind of slow. A little past the middle of the book is when things start to move a little faster. A lot of things start happening and I found myself having to finish.

    Call is pretty much your loner type and never really had any friends. He has a limp from an injury during infancy that never healed correctly. His father is completely paranoid about this Trials for the Magisterium school and tells him to blow his tests. Call believes what his father tells him and does what he can to fail his trials. Although, he tries too hard and ends up impressing the school anyway. He ends up with one of the best Masters, in a group with two others. Throughout the book they are learning basics and trying to get through their first year at the school. Although, Cal finds a letter met for his Master, from his father. It warns him about Cal and that he needs to bind his magic before the first year is up. Cal takes the letter and is wondering what his father meant.

I was pretty sure I figured it out and it was obvious that Call would be the "One". He would go from the weakest to the strongest. I was not expecting that twist ending at all! I'm so intrigued now and will definitely be reading the next book. What will he do? Will he choose good vs. evil? I guess we will have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment