Thursday, July 10, 2014

We Were Liars- E. Lockhart

I feel like maybe I was reading a different book than everyone else. There seems to be a lot of hype and good reviews about this book. I don't get it. It wasn't a bad read, I gave it 3 stars, but it didn't move me to tears, like some people.
The writing in this book was a little hard to take. To go from complete sentences and then
drop off
out of nowhere for no
reason at all
was just annoying.

Get my point? Anyways, this book is basically about a handful of rich kids and their lives at the summer house. They are called the "Liars" which include her cousins Mirren, Johnny, and the love interest Gat. They talk about all this trouble that they get into, but I never see it. They really don't do much of anything but hang out at the beach and at each others homes. That's pretty much it. I felt like all the main characters were boring and I wanted to smack most of them. Then something happens in summer fifteen that Candace can't recall. She suffers a lot of medical problems from the block she has about whatever happens. So this book is her trying to piece together the events of that summer to figure out what happened.

I thought most of this book, Candace was a privileged girl who had the world at her feet, to just complain about it. It's not like she was really that great of a person. She didn't really care about anyone but herself. She didn't care about the help or how the world works. Her love interest Gat, was not from a privileged home and he was the one always pointing these things out. The parents didn't really care for him, especially the grandfather, because of his views on things.

I did like the little stories that Candace would write every once in a while to piece together the past. They were a bit strange and therefore kept me interested. I will say the ending is pretty predictable. I kept reading just to see how she would figure it out, even though, I already had.

It wasn't a horrible book but I've definitely read better.

No comments:

Post a Comment