Thursday, July 10, 2014

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail - Cheryl Strayed

                     Because I couldn't decide between 2 and 3 stars, I was generous and went with 3. I was expecting a lot more from this book than I got. Don't get me wrong, it was still a good story, just not great. It started out pretty strong. I feel like Cheryl was just self-destructive and the whole journey to find herself could have been avoided. I think that she felt sorry for herself and just wanted to "wallow in her misery," so to speak. Yes, I could never imagine losing my mother, especially the way she did. It was so quick and sudden and there's shock, depression and so on from that. I totally understand that but her actions were just selfish. She didn't care to get the help she needed and instead of talking with her husband, who seemed great, she pushed him away because she wanted to be free to have sex with whoever she wanted. She pushed away a great husband and used her mothers death as an excuse.
To want to do the PCT and not even train, study, research or prepare for it?! Then to be surprised at how tough it was, come on! I mean buying all the equipment is one thing but it seemed as she didn't care so much about any of the other details. In all honesty, if it weren't for the people around her, she wouldn't have lasted long out there. She was so unprepared. During the whole process she didn't really do as much "finding" as I thought she would. I mean she has this whole sexual addiction to fill a void and towards the end of her journey, what does she do? She has sex with a she meets at a bar and chalks it to a weekend love affair. Like it was no big deal. I mean come on!! It's one of the things that ruined your marriage and made you go on this self-discovery journey. I just feel at that point she should have known better and instead she took 3 steps back in her progress.
I did get through this book rather quickly because I was interested and waiting for the big "aha" moment that never really came. I was just disappointed with this book

No comments:

Post a Comment